Monday, October 18, 2010

Spread and Sprinkle Turkey Burger/Veggie Lasagna

Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Lasagna Noodles
Turkey Burger
Olive Oil
Red Onion
Fresh Garlic
Red, Yellow, Orange Peppers
Mushrooms
Baby Spinach
Part Skim Ricotta Cheese (May substitute with Low Fat Cottage Cheese for less fat and calories)
Fat Free Sour Cream
Parmesan Cheese
Romano Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese (ALL Cheese preferably fresh)
Marinara Sauce
Basil, Oregano, Salt, Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder
In large pot, boil lasagna noodles until al dente.  Once done, rinse, strain and pat dry.
While noodles are boiling, chop all fresh veggies and place in a large skillet with olive oil and cook until veggies are al dente.  Next add turkey burger and seasonings.  Cook turkey burger thoroughly.  Remove and strain.
1.  In a large lasagna pan place lasagna noodles on the bottom (slightly overlapping).  
2.  Apply Ricotta Cheese and Sour Cream
3.  Place a layer of the Turkey Burger/Veggie mix on top  
4.  Sprinkle equal parts Parmesan, Romano and Mozzarella Cheeses
5.  Add Marinara sauce generously
6. Repeat steps until lasagna is layered
7. End with a layer of noodles of top, add marinara sauce and lightly sprinkle cheeses on top
8.  Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.  Remove foil and let cook another 5 minutes until cheese has bubbled and browned slightly
Enjoy!!!


Submitted By: Janis Jope, EMT-Paramedic


Massachusetts, USA

2 comments:

Nichole said...

I made this recipe last night! It was super fab, I love all the veggies. It changed my mind about 2 things: Turkey Burger and homemade Lasagna.

I've never used turkey burger...it sounded unappetizing and like it would be dry and artificial. In fact, it's quite the opposite! As easy to prepare as hamburger, inexpensive, and picks up the flavor of added seasonings perfectly. I love it! I smell a Featured Ingredient topic coming on...

Lasagna, lasagna, lasagna. One of those ultra versatile and quintessential family recipes found everywhere from 5 star restaurants to your grandmothers hand written index card! I made my first one about a year ago, using a "World's Best Lasagna" type recipe. It was a lot of work, expense, a mess to clean up and hardly worth it. It was edible, but didn't survive as leftovers, and most of it went in the garbage. I tried again several months later, a "white" lasagna based on chicken, broccoli, alfredo flavors. Same results, and I swore off making my own lasaganas for life!

Not to sound hokey, but THANK YOU PARAMEDIC COOK JANIS! (Ok...that was intentionally hokey hahah!) I love the lasagna recipe and will make it again. It was easy to prepare and didn't have 1,000 ingredients. Plus, it has loads of potential for personalization, such as changing up the veggies. It was only missing ONE THING, and I KNOW Janis is tired of hearing me say this so LAST TIME, I promise: It needs measurements!! It's doable without them, but I felt like I had a little too much of some ingredients, and too few of others. Maybe that's what she intended, after all it's in her nature as an awesome Medic...to improvise and be resourceful on the fly! That Janis...what a clever little Paramedic Cook :)

Janis said...

Glad you enjoyed. It is true....I confess....I don't measure. I just whip it together. It usually comes just a tad differently everytime but still delish. Sometimes I only use Ricotta, other times I use Ricotta, Cottage Cheese and Sour Cream and cook a monstrosity of cheesy, creamy, crunchiness that will last for days. AND it is ALWAYS better the next day after everything settles. You worded it perfectly, "Spread and Sprinkle" that's catchy! ;)